Friday 1 May 2009

why I started this blog

I read the CT Scan report again and again. The report was two-pages long but only these few words kept staring back at me : "suspicious of pulmonary metastases.”

It was March 2008. I was with my oncologist who had gone through the results with me. I wished there was a mistake but the report was right before me. Yes, it seemed like I had suffered a cancer recurrence. Yes, it looked like the nasopharyngeal cancer I was diagnosed with in Aug 2006 had spread to my right lung. My cancer had returned.

Many questions went through my mind. Did I do anything wrong? What should I have done or not done to prevent this relapse? Was there any part in my life I needed to change to make sure I will win this battle against cancer?

This unexpected relapse was a wake up call. I started to reflect on what I had done or not done over the past one-and-a-half years. For the most part of my post-recovery period, I had turned to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) to help me regain my lost strength and immunity. I had made an effort to drink fresh vegetable juices daily with the belief that they could help detoxify my body of toxins. And I had tried to follow dietary advice given by professional nutritionists and cancer survivors.

Despite having done all these, I still felt lost and confused. I was not sure if I was doing the right thing. It seemed that everyone had their own views on what was good or bad for cancer. I had also received many viral emails that made recommendations on what to eat or what not to eat, with some emails even claiming that a certain food could cure cancer. In this internet age, how would we know what is true and what is fake information?

This unexpected cancer recurrence prompted me to do my own serious research. I was determined to find out for myself what I should do or not do to prevent another cancer recurrence. I was determined to search for “true and reliable” information from reliable sources. I will record all this information and share it with all cancer sufferers, in particular those with nasopharyngeal or nose cancer (NPC).

And so this blog was born out of this desire to share. It is free. It is easily accessible by anyone, anywhere, anytime. And if God should decide to take me home one day, this blog can live on as a legacy for future cancer sufferers.

your fellow NPC survivor,
shuqin

1 comment:

Mumzzy said...

Hi SockKim,

My name is Ju Lee. I was surfing the web for NPC support group for my mother who had just completed her treatment. She's looking for someone who has experienced the same thing as her. I have passed her the name of your website for her to go and take a look. We're staying in Penang, and i am unable to find a support group (consisting of NPC survivors) that my mom can meet up with. I'm glad i found your website, thanks so much for sharing. Now she knows that she's not alone.